Welcome New SHYC Members!
We are pleased to welcome you to the SHYC community! We hope you were able to attend the New Member Welcome Orientation Brunch last weekend. We enjoyed meeting so many of you! Below you will find a detailed summary of upcoming events and all the exciting things that you and your family can get involved with at SHYC! If you have any questions, please ask us anytime!
SHYC Opening Weekend – June 19/20:
· Opening Day Ceremony – Saturday June 19th 10:00-11:45am. Please join us for the official opening of the club. New members will be recognized and presented with a SHYC burgee (if you did not receive one during the Welcome Brunch last weekend). All club staff and flag officers will be introduced and a few remarks will be shared. Donuts, muffins and coffee are served at 10am and the officiating starts at 10:45am. All members are invited to attend. This is a family friendly event with a casual dress code.
· Opening Day Cocktail Party – Saturday June 19th at 6pm. Join us to celebrate the start of our 125th season. Passed Hors D’Oeuvres. $35/person (ages 21+ only). Cocktail attire or your “Summer SHYC Best”.Contact Entertainment Chair Sarah Brown at email@example.com if you have yet to RSVP via PaperlessPost in order to join the waitlist for this sold-out event.
· THE GALLEY IS OPEN! From Opening Day (Saturday June 19th) to Labor Day our Galley is open 7 days a week from 11:00am to 3:30pm. You can order delicious food and drinks using your SHYC Member # (or your last name) at the outside Galley window. If you have any questions about how to order, the Galley staff will help you. No cash accepted.
· Father’s Day Pancake Breakfast – Sunday June 20th, 8-10AM. Join us for our annual Father’s Day Breakfast consisting of pancakes, sausage, fruit, OJ, and coffee (food to be billed member account)! No reservations required – just show up! This is a Family Friendly event.
Adult Tennis: SHYC has a variety of tennis offerings for adults of all levels, including group lessons/clinics, CAPP, and private lessons. Learn more on the SHYC adult tennis webpage. Sign-up for a 3-Pack of lessons using this Google Online Tennis Sign-Up. For additional questions, contact Elisa Milano at firstname.lastname@example.org or our head Tennis Pro, Steve Godiksen at 203-215-6197, email@example.com.
Adult Sailing: SHYC has plenty of opportunities to get out on the water and race! We offer Wednesday Night Racing for PHRF boats as well as Saturday Racing for Lasers, Sonars, and PHRF boats. In addition to those series races for member boats, the Club hosts an ECSA PHRF Regatta called the Coastal Classic which has ~50 boats from all over CT compete across several classes. Please reach out to Fleet Captain Cutter Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the fleets or how to get involved!
More Adult Social Events:
- 2021 SHYC Social & Entertainment Events – View & Print 2021 Events Flyer
- Summer SHYC Calendar of All Event (social, tennis, sailing, and more): View Club Digital Calendar
- Sign-up to attend a Thursday Night Dinner: Online info and signup
- Contact Entertainment Chair Sarah Brown to learn more at email@example.com
Launch, Moorings, and Boat Storage:
- Launch Service: Launch service is offered daily from 8:00am to sunset (starting Opening Day). You can get the launch from the club house. If you need to call the launch, you can hail them on VHF Channel 72. (Before Opening Day and after Labor Day, the launch operates on a reduced schedule, on weekends only from 8am-5pm.)
- Rack Spot Reservations for Kayak, Opti/Laser, or Paddleboards: Please sign up for a rack spot, you will receive a sticker once you register. If you have questions, ask John Wood, the Club General Manager. Online form
- Mooring Requests: Contact our Harbor Manager, Eric Davidson and learn more online (there is currently a Wait List)
· Junior Programs for Sailing/Tennis/Swim Lessons – Sailing, tennis, and swim class programs are offered for member children ages 5yr+ for tennis and swim and 6yr+ for sailing. Learn more on our Junior Programs website. 2021 Classes start Monday June 21st – View & Print Class Lists. General JR Questions, contact Whitney Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org. JR Sailing & JR Swim questions contact Shane & Erica Walden at email@example.com. JR Tennis questions, contact Elisa Milano.
Important Club Information, Parking & Rules:
- Club COVID & Mask Protocols: Print & View
- Club By-Laws & Rules: Print & View
- Directions & Parking Information: Print & View
- Junior Rules: Print & View
Volunteer to Help! SHYC is a volunteer club and the participation of every member is critical to our operation and success. Watch our website for new opportunities for how to get involved.
Thank you for joining our community and welcome to SHYC! If you have any questions, please reach out to us at any time.
James Lai, SHYC Membership Chair
Whitney Peterson, SHYC Vice Commodore
Mike Schnitt, SHYC Commodore