Summer 2023 Program Info (Sailing, Tennis, Swim):
2023 Session Dates: Programs will be offered in four, 2-week sessions:
- Session A: June 19-June 30
- Session B: July 3-14 (July 4 Tuesday is a holiday, no classes)
- Session C: July 17-July 28
- Session D: July 31- August 10
- 2023 Junior Programs – Class Descriptions Brochure – Learn all about our exciting sailing, racing, tennis, and swimming offerings for SHYC Member children ages 5-17 years.
- 2023 JR Programs Sign Ups (Live/Open!) – click here to register for summer 2023 online
- 2023 Class Lists & Times: Coaches will also assess the kids during the first week(s), and make any necessary class changes. View & Print 2023 Class List (will be posted in June)
Important JR Program Info & Forms:
- ** REQUIRED FORM** Junior Program Rules – review and sign the digital waiver & print the Rules PDF to review with your children.
- ** REQUIRED FORM** Medical Form & Treatment Release Form – (complete & sign digitally), must be submitted for all children in JR Programs.
- ** REQUIRED FOR AM SAILORS** Safety Parent of the morning: Help us keep our sailors safe, be a “Safety Parent of the Morning”. All parents of sailors in our morning programs are expected to sign-up for at least one morning of helping. Sign-Up for 2022 Safety Parent (2023 sign-up coming soon). No sailing experience required or needed. Questions ask Erin McCarthy.
- What to bring for Junior Lessons – (print the list) Review this handy list to learn what you need each day for sailing, tennis, and swim lessons. Please review carefully before lessons start in case you need to purchase any needed clothing or equipment (especially important for new families and new sailors!)
- JR Boxed Lunch Order Form (for morning sailors) – (Print form and give to your sailing coach when you arrive for morning class)
- Meet the Sailing Instructor & Coach Team: We are excited to have great returning and new coaches for this summer. Check out their Bios!
- Opti Safety Inspection – Sunday 6/11/23, 1-3pm: Please make sure your Optimist has all the required Safety & Sailing Equipment, and LABEL everything with your name with a permanent sharpie marker or paint pen. (Bring your Opti to the club at this time to make sure you have all the parts. This is required for all new sailing program participants in the OPTI 1 and Opti 2 Programs, ages 8+. )
- Sign up for a 2023 Rack Spot for your Opti, Laser, paddeboards, or kayaks (click here)
- Private sailing lessons: For all levels of sailors, ages 6+ to adults, in Optis, FEVAs, BICs, or 420s. Private lessons with SHYC instructors must be billed through your SHYC account for insurance requirements. Coordinate times with instructors directly or email Shane Walden. (Private or Semi-Private lessons are $50/hour, minimum of 2 hours)
- MTI Life-Jacket Discount Special: MTI, US Sailing’s new life jacket partner, is offering special benefits for US Sailing members and SHYC members. Visit the MTI website at www.mtilifejackets.com, and use the code “SAILS15” in the shopping cart before checkout to save 15%.
- Sachem’s Head Yacht Club is a US Sailing MVP Club! Because of this partnership, SHYC members receive up to 20% off annual US Sailing memberships ( Youth $20, Individual $50, and Family $75). In turn, our club receives MVP credit to expand access to US Sailing resources and programs that help enhance our club. Join US Sailing today at a 20% discount.
- SHYC Club-Owned Boat Usage Policy: This policy pertains to our Club-420, FEVAs, and BICs – read our policy.
- SHYC Junior Racing Program (Learn more on our race team page)
- SHYC’s RS FEVA PROGRAM – Learn more!
- SHYC has 6 RS Fevas that we use in our JR Programs. Feva sailing is incorporated into many of our classes and is the feature boat in our Adventure and Tween/Teen race programs. The boats are targeted at tweens/teens that are too small for a 420s and for racing sailors looking to broaden their skills and try out a modern style, fast dingy with an asymmetrical cute.
- Below are WindCheck articles about FEVA sailing & racing at Sachems’s Head YC!
- SHYC Team at 2022 FEVA Worlds in England – read WindCheck article
- RS FEVA’s as New Option for Tweens in Sachem’s Head Junior Sailing, article in Windcheck Magazine: Click to Read
- Sachem’s Sailors Realize Big Successes at RS FEVA 2021 North Americans, article in Windcheck Magazine: Click to Read
Sailing & JR Program Questions:
- Jr. Sailing – contact Shane & Erica Walden, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sailing & Waterfront Director, Emma Janson
- Jr. Tennis – contact: Elisa Milano, SHYCtennis1@gmail.com
- General Jr. Program Questions – contact: Whitney Peterson, email@example.com
NON-MEMBER SAILING SIGN UP IS BASED ON AVAILABILITY, AFTER MEMBER SIGN-UPS ARE COMPLETE (2023 – Limited availability of racing programs ONLY.)
- Non-Member Spots on our 420, FEVA, & Opti Race Teams – offered if space is available after member sign-ups are complete. If available, options will be for experienced, non-member sailors to join our FEVA, Opti, or 420 Racing Teams. Non-Member sailors will need a member sponsor, to submit a one page application, and will pay an additional “$250 non-member program access fee.” (Note, we cannot accommodate non-members in our Sea Squirts, Opti 1, Opti 2, or our recreational FEVA adventure classes. Currently our non-member slots are only offered to intermediate+ level sailors that want to join one of our Travel Race Teams.) If interested, contact Whitney Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.