Visit our JR 2021 Program Important Info Page for all current info, including dates and online sign-up (starting in April 2021)
SHYC Junior Tennis
SHYC Junior Tennis lessons are segmented by age, with class groupings further broken out by skill, age, and social groupings. We offer multiple levels of classes for red, orange, green and yellow ball players. Younger developing players will play Red Ball and work on hand-eye coordination, strokes, footwork and the fun of the game. Older, more experienced players will move into Orange, Green, and Yellow Balls. These players will continue to work on stroke basics and footwork, while also building their speed, agility, and endurance; game-play will round out the curriculum. All lessons will be fun and incorporate a variety of fun drills, learning games, and more. Tennis will be scheduled to accommodate sailing classes, as best possible. In general, those taking sailing in the afternoon will have tennis in the morning; and those sailing in the morning will have tennis in the afternoon.
2021 Junior Tennis Times & Class Lists (View/Print in June)
Interclub Travel JR Tennis Teams: Practices are held on Mondays at either 10:30-12:00 or 1:00-2:30 (depending on age/level). Away Matches are held on Friday Afternoons, typically starting at 1pm (exact location/timing will be sent out by the SHYC Tennis Coaches, or contact the SHYC Tennis Coordinator)
Tennis Clothing/Footwear Requirements: Players participating in the SHYC Junior Tennis program will be expected to have a tennis racket and wear appropriate tennis clothing.
- Tennis sneakers with socks (no running shoes, crocs, tevas, sailing shoes, etc.)
- T-shirts or sports shirts (no bathing suits)
- Shorts or skirts with pockets that can hold a tennis ball (no bathing suits)
- Water bottle, hat, visor, and/or sunglasses
SHYC Parent/Child Tennis Tournament: Two divisions: 10 & Under and Over 10. Date = TBD. $25/team (sign-up with Steve or on the SHYC board.)
SHYC Club Tennis Championships: We encourage all jr players (typically ages 8+, but ask Steve) to play in the SHYC Club Championships. There will be four divisions including: Girls Singles (10 & Under and Over 10), Boys Singles (10 & Under and Over 10), Girls Doubles (10 & Under and Over 10), Boys Doubles (10 & Under and Over 10).
- Requirements: Free and open to anyone in the SHYC Junior Tennis Programs
- Dates: TBD
NEW SHYC TENNIS HATS & VISORS! We are excited to sell SHYC light-weight tennis hats and visors this summer. Please see Steve if you would like one. They will be charged to your SHYC account.
SHYC TENNIS RULES & EXPECTATIONS
- Mark-proof tennis shoes and appropriate tennis apparel are expected. Shirts must be worn at all times.
- No running sneakers, sandals, Crocs, sailing shoes
- No bathing suits
- Boisterous behavior, profanity, throwing rackets, striking nets, marking court surfaces, and other acts that interfere with the well being of the general membership, will not be tolerated.
- Smoking and eating on the courts is prohibited.
- Players are responsible for their own trash. There are trash bins on the side of the Tweed House for proper disposal.
- No bikes, scooters, ripsticks, skateboards, or roller blades are permitted on tennis courts.